Claim your tax refund

Get your free no obligation claim pack

This FREE tax rebate estimate is provided by Online Tax Rebates, part of Uniform Benefits – a service dedicated to saving you time and money.

MOD Tax Rebate Claims

You could be owed a £2,500 tax refund for your travel expenses. Bases outside the UK are included, and you might also be able to claim for Mess Dress.

This is a complex claim and we’ve heard reports of some claims being rejected when submitted by inexperienced advisors. For that reason we would like to refer you to our expert partners who have obtained confirmation on the validity of claims both from HMRC and the MOD so you can have peace of mind that your refund is yours to keep when you receive it.

If you complete the form below our partners will be in touch shortly about your free without obligation assessment.

Have you completed Phase 1 Training?

Have you been posted to a base for 2 years or less? (Excluding tours)

Did you use your own vehicle or public transport to get to those bases?

Based on the information you provided above, you won't be able to make a claim at this time.

Based on a sample of past refunds we have obtained matching the details you have provided:

Largest refund received: £-

Average refund received: £-


Total claims


Successful claims

< 2

Minutes to claim

What our customers think

Each tax year will be recalculated if you enter a claim. This often identifies other overpayments due to incorrect tax codes, multiple employments, ceasing of job, etc. In these cases we can identify a much larger tax rebate. We regularly identify rebates of over £1,000 for customers who were originally estimated a lower amount.

If you claim now you will receive tax relief for the current tax year and future years that allowances continue to apply, paid through your monthly pay. The value of this is usually £{{ App.CustomerClaim.AnnualRefund }} per year.

You don’t need to make any upfront payment to us in order for us to check if you are due a rebate.

We will ensure that your current year reliefs are correct and that your future year allowances are adjusted in line with the current year to ensure you are no longer being overtaxed. There will be no charge for this service.

The annual saving of £{{ App.CustomerClaim.AnnualRefund }} per year for the current and future years will not be subject to charge. You will receive this automatically in your pay once your tax code has been adjusted.

We will also check the earlier years to determine if you can claim back any previously overpaid tax. HMRC will pay any rebate due directly to us and we will forward payment to you, in due course, net of our deductions of 28%, plus VAT, where due, providing the net refund payment is £20 or more.

We will issue your refund through our Uniform Benefits payment card which you can withdraw cash on at a cashpoint or spend in shops or online like a normal debit card. If you use your card at selected retailers you can also earn additional cashback to continue to spend.

MOD Claim | About you

Select the tax years when you were employed in the specified sector
Do you or your accountant already prepare a self-assessment tax return?

Are you currently married or in a civil partnership?

As you are not UK resident we will need to refer your claim to our specialist partners who will be able to assess & process your claim. When you click 'Next >' below, we will forward your details and a specialist advisor will be in touch shortly.


Have you paid subscriptions to any of the following?

Thank you

Thanks for showing an interest in claiming your tax rebate.

We have passed your details to our partner,

Self Assessment Taxpayers

You could have overpaid tax by £{{ App.CustomerClaim.EstimatedClaim }} if the tax relief you listed was not claimed on your earlier returns.

As you are already within self assessment we would like to send you details of a highly competitive self assessment service from one of our expert partners. They can correct omissions in your earlier tax returns and ensure your annual returns are submitted on time every year, saving you a lot of stress and making sure you only pay the tax you need to.

Going forward the correct allowances applied to each annual return could save you £{{ App.CustomerClaim.AnnualRefund }} per year.

If you complete the form below our partners will be in touch shortly about your free without obligation assessment.

About you

Thank you

Thanks for showing an interest in claiming your tax rebate.

We have passed your details to our partner, Rift Group

Please sign in the box below using your finger or your mouse

Thank you

Thanks for showing an interest in claiming your tax rebate.

We have passed your details to our partner, Thandi Nicholls Limited Chartered Accountants

Confirm your details

About your last 3 jobs

Enter details of your last 3 jobs in the past 5 years.

Job {{index+1}} (optional)


Final Details

In order to process your claim we will need your National Insurance Number and your phone number.
National Insurance Number (eg AA 123456 B)


Please fill in the details of your selected subscriptions. Suggested subscription payments are based on typical rates. Edit these if your payments were different.

{{ sub.Name }}
{{ ty.Name }}


Please fill in the details of any other relevant expenses. Up to 5 extra expenses can be added here.

{{ ty.Name }}

Thanks! You have completed your claim

Your unique claim reference is OTR{{ App.CustomerClaim.ClaimId }}

Please make a note of this reference or print this page as you will need your claim number if you return later to download your claim documents.

You will have been sent an email to confirm your documents have been generated, but for security reasons we do not send your documents by email.

IMPORTANT – we will keep you up to date about the progress of your claim by email. Please do the following to ensure you receive our emails:

  1. Check your email now to see if you have received an email from us.
  2. If no email is there please check your 'spam' and 'promotions' folders and move any email from us to your main inbox.

Your claim documents will be automatically sent to you by post. You should receive them within 2 weeks.

In order to progress your claim you MUST complete the ALL the documents we send you and post them as described on the checklist you will receive. Failure to return the documents relating to your claim will result in your claim not being processed.

Quick Estimate - Find out how much you could get

Unison Tax Rebate


Jobs in healthcare cover a vast range of work with all staff playing vital roles in service delivery. If you pay subscriptions to Unison you may be due a tax rebate and Healthcare Worker Tax Rebate can help you secure some of your hard-earned cash back.

In 2007, Unison agreed a deal with HMRC (Her Majesty’s Revenue & Customs) to let members in the following “qualifying” sectors claim tax relief on their subscriptions:

Nursing sector
Ambulance sector
Voluntary sector
Professional and Technical ‘A’ sector
Professional and Technical ‘B’ sector
Senior and General Manager sector

If you worked in any of these sectors – for more details on A and B sectors see below – you can claim tax relief on your Unison subscriptions. The union’s subscriptions are linked to the amount you earn and, depending on this, you could be due up to £75 per year in tax back.

Can I claim for anything else?

You may also be able to claim for some of the expenses of doing your job, such as:

1. Upkeep of uniform and specialist clothing

If you wear a uniform and you are required to wash it yourself you can claim a flat rate allowance for this. It’s typically worth between £12 and £25 per year.

2. Registrations for regulated professions

If you are part of a regulated profession you may be required to pay a registration fee. These are to bodies such as the NMC (Nursing and Midwifery Council), HCPC (Health and Care Professions Council, formerly the HPC), GPhC (General Pharmaceutical Council) and the GDC (General Dental Council).  Typically this is worth around £20 per year in tax, however, depending on your job and the amount of tax you pay, it could be worth more than £200 per year.

3. Other professional memberships

You can also claim for membership of organisations such as the RCN (Royal College of Nursing), the RCM (Royal College of Midwives), the SoR (Society of Radiographers), IBMS (Institute of Biomedical Science), RPS (Royal Pharmaceutical Society). Typically these subscriptions are worth £50 to £60 per year in tax.
You can find a full list of the qualifying bodies on HMRC’s website: HMRC list 3

Can I backdate my claim?

You can backdate your claim over the previous 4 tax years, even if you’ve had several jobs or left your qualifying job. For the current and future tax years you can get tax relief through your tax code which means you’ll get a bit less tax deducted from your pay packet.

How do I claim?

Just click on the box below and enter your details to get the forms to claim. It’s really easy to do and you can complete your part of the claim in less than FIVE minutes.

Appendix – Qualifying Sectors

Nursing sector

This covers the whole nursing family including nurses, midwives, health visitors and healthcare assistants working in the community, schools, mental health, dentistry, GP practices, learning disabilities, maternity care, hospitals and the prison service.

Ambulance sector

This covers all grades of ambulance staff and paramedics serving in every ambulance service across the United Kingdom.

Voluntary Sector

This covers members who work for a non-NHS voluntary sector organisation (such as a charity, community group or social enterprise) providing services such as home, residential or day care, or rehabilitation and social work.

Senior and General Managers’ sector

This covers heads of services, directors, assistant directors, professional managers, organisers, co-ordinators and team leaders within the NHS and its support services.

Professional and Technical ‘A’ sector

This covers members who, prior to Agenda for Change, came under the PTA section of the Whitley Council pay structure, including members working in areas such as art, music and drama therapy, occupational therapy, speech and language therapy, physiotherapy, psychology, orthoptics, dietetics, chiropody and radiography.

Professional and Technical ‘B’ sector

This comprises professional and technical staff covered by the old PTB Whitley Council pay structure working as operating department practitioners and assistants and those working in anaesthetics, chaplaincy, counselling, dialysis, estates management, optometry, phlebotomy, podiatry, prosthetics and orthotics, sexual health, healthcare scientists including clinical scientists who work in biochemistry, gastroenterology, haemotology, haemostasis and thrombosis, microbiology, immunogenetics and histocompatibility, immunology molecular genetics, medical physics, respiratory physiology and clinical engineering, cytoscreeners, laboratory support staff and perfusionists, technicians/technologists who work in anatomical pathology, audiology, dentistry, physiological measurements and cardiology, gastroenterology, hearing, respiratory, medical physics, engineering, renal, physiology, neurophysiology, and medical illustrators and photography, dental auxiliaries, hygienists and therapists, pharmacists, pharmacy technicians and pharmacy assistants.

Customer Testimonials

Click On An Image To Find Out More